Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Living From My Truth

Doing things the way they've always been done is easy.  It's when you choose to do things differently that you open up to what's possible.  That's been the truth I've been living from lately.  Admittedly, it's unnerving to abandon what's worked.  My insecurities surface - am I good enough? will they like me? am i I really deserving?

Here's what has worked for me.  As the insecurities surface, I write them down.  Easy, right?  We all have those demons pop up in our heads.  Then, I ask the simple question - who does this belong to?  It's taken me awhile, however, often, I'm able to realize that this is not what I truly feel about myself.  What it is exactly, I can't say.  Some lingering race consciousness perhaps.

But sometimes, these feelings are mine.  Right now, I've been on vacation for a few days, indulging in absolutely delicious foods, desserts and wines and I'm feeling a bit self-conscious when I get into my bikini.  And, this totally belongs to me.  I'm feeling it and if I allow myself, I can start to slide down the path of self-criticizing.

The truth is I'm enjoying myself so why not indulge in the Oreo Cookie Cheesecake.  And so, "tapping" or Emotional Freedom Technique, comes to my rescue.  If this is a new concept for you, I recommend checking out Nick Ortner's new book.

Basically, it starts with recognizing what you're feeling and stating that, in spite of these negative feeling, you completely love and accept yourself anyway.  The "tapping" part comes in as part of the process using meridian points on your body, the first being the karate chop point on your hand as your state your current negative feeling.

I won't take you through the process but you can check it out here - http://www.thetappingsolution.com/

So, when this feeling of over-indulgence and not fitting into my bikini emerges, I start tapping.  And amazingly, my feelings of insecurity that emerge start to dissipate.  I become clear again that I'm on vacation and it's okay to have a great time and enjoy what life here has to offer.  It no longer matters what others might think.  All that matters is the right here and the right now.

I am on vacation and all is well!

No comments:

Post a Comment