Wednesday, August 27, 2014

3 Truths About Spiritual Clumsiness

It seems to happen to me fairly regularly -  the wall sneaks out of nowhere and smacks into me; the chair scoots out and I trip over it; the table jumps up and tweaks my little toe.

I wish I could blame the furniture but - I am clumsy.  And it's been a hard-learned lesson at times to pay attention to my surroundings, especially when I am on the move.

I also know that it's part of my life and it's something that I'm sure I share with others.  I would bet that each of us has had our clumsy moments.

So, what became clear as I had that realization?  I can also be spiritually clumsy.  Sometimes, my spiritual blunders are small and other times the goof can be more serious.

Now that I've made that observation, I noticed that there are 3 clumsy missteps that stand out and here's my take-away from each of them.

Trust but be in expectancy:  With affirmative prayer, one of the key steps is to release the prayer to the Action of the Law.  Let it go and know that it's already done.  The idea is to trust that the Universe is bringing to you exactly what you need.  I assumed that meant blind trust and I don't need to do a thing.  It will all just automatically unfold.

But, I didn't realize that I would need to take steps toward what I want.  AND, I would have to remain expectant to my good.  I can't simply sit on the couch and wait for my perfect job to fall in my lap or the perfect partner to knock at my door or the money I need to appear in my bank account.

Pray, then take steps in the direction of what you want.  PLUS, have that feeling of excited expectancy that your desire is here, now, just waiting to be unwrapped.  That vibration of expectancy partnered with action will ALWAYS guide you toward the fulfillment of your vision.

It's OK to get angry:  Whenever I felt angry, I spent so much time trying to avoid feeling it.  I would stop and affirm positive things in my life.  I would make myself sit and be quiet until I could stop thinking about what had made me angry.  I would play music, sing out loud and try and avoid dealing with the anger.  The only thing that accomplished was an increase in the anger, a frustration over what to do and guilt that I felt anger in the first place.

I thought I was doing all the right things.  Instead, I learned that anger can bring gifts.  Sure, there is a dark side to anger that we need to be aware of so we don't become bitter.  But, anger can also connect us to our passion.  It can be the impetus we need to make a positive change.  In my own life, I eventually got so angry at how I was treated at work, I decided to take a sabbatical and it's been life-changing.

I now deal with anger completely different.  When I get angry, I admit to the feeling and take a closer look at why.  And it's usually in the "why" that I can find the light side to anger and deal with it.  It lets me just chill out and see if it's a situation that I need to clean up or something that is pushing me to become more.

Understand your judgements:  We are each unique individuals which means we will each have our own approach to doing things.  Sometimes, they might fit well and compliment the way we move through life.  Sometimes, they are complete polar opposites.

In my spiritual clumsiness, I spent so much time trying to convince others why MY way was the right one.  And, I would spend so much time controlling things and nitpicking the details, I would be exhausted.  But, mostly, I would make judgement calls - often not very nice ones either.

I eventually saw that my judgements were reflections of what was going on inside of me.  Knowing that let me see that there is no right way or wrong way, there is only the way we choose.  We are all different and it simply is what it is.

Ultimately, what I've recognized is that I am here to learn, to love, and to laugh.  So, while I still might trip into my spiritually clumsy moments, I can learn from them and find something in them that even makes me smile.

So, what are some spiritual blunders YOU'VE made?  And, what are you doing differently?

Today, I set the intention to learn from my spiritual clumsiness, knowing it can happen to anybody and that it's all part of my journey here at this time.


"One of the most freeing things we learn in life is that we don't have to like everyone, 
everyone doesn't have to like us, and it's perfectly OK."  

"The mind is a magnet and we attract that with which we identify the self. 
 In order to get the most out of life, we must learn consciously to change many of our habitual 
thought patterns.  This is not easy, for our old thought patterns cling to us with great tenacity
 but, being thought pattern, they can be reversed."  
~Ernest Holmes, The Art of Life


Affirmative Prayer:
In this moment, there is the gurgling of a fountain and the water splashing softly into the pool below.  It is in the joy and happiness of this simple moment that a knowing of Spirit is uncovered.  There is a Divine Wisdom that is awakened as the qualities of the One Life shine through even the simple things of the day.

These gifts of joy and happiness, wisdom and intelligence are expressed through me as Source, as God, seeks to expand within me and as me.  I am filled with energy and excitement as my soul connects to the One Life that guides my steps and makes my path forward clear.

Smiling at the realization that my life is an opportunity for expansion and growth, I welcome each lesson that lets me rise up to the person I am here to be.  In each minute, I hold on to the excited expectancy that the seeds I have planted with my thoughts will be revealed in Divine perfect timing.  I let go of any thought that feelings of anger are bad and instead, I seek the reason why I feel it, trusting that it is directing me toward my passion and purpose.  And, I affirm that everything in my experience of life today, and tomorrow, and the next day, are exactly as they should be, allowing me to be the unique expression of Spirit that I am and allowing others to be the unique expression of Spirit that they are.  It is all a beautiful mix of the Divine and I celebrate it.

I am so grateful for the clarity I receive as I live my life the best I know how.  I am thankful that my spiritual clumsiness has brought me to a place of greater learning so that I can move forward with more confidence.  And I am filled with gratitude that I can leave behind an old pattern and shift into a new design for the unfolding of my gifts and talents.

Grateful for my magnificent destiny, I simply release my word to the Divine Action of the Law, knowing it is already done.  I sit in expectancy of my good.  And I let it be so.  And so it is.

Photo courtesy of Billy Wilson/Flickr

No comments:

Post a Comment