Monday, September 9, 2013

Breaking Free From a Kindness Rut

There is no doubt that kindness on my part comes back to me several times over.  I always try to be mindful of others in need, even if it's just to listen and give my full attention to another person.

I wonder, though, if I've fallen into a kindness rut.

The reason for my question - Nipun Mehta, founder of ServiceSpace.  I had a chance to hear Nipun speak at CSL San Jose on Sunday and it awakened a desire to look at how I have been sharing kindness in my life.

Small acts of kindness, no problem.  I get that.  I hold the door open for others.  I share a smile when I feel compelled to reach out.  I let other drivers move into my lane.

But - it's the thought of trying to pay ahead for someone else's lunch or to just grab a neighbors trash cans and take them down to the curb.  It creates an angst inside that I will look awkward or less than perfect.

It takes me outside of my comfort zone of how I approach being kind and my perception of giving.  And, that's where I can see I've fallen into a rut.  I'm comfortable in my "kindness space".   I am hanging on to my happy little bubble of generosity.

Because of that, I know it's time to cut the ties to what I know and create space for a new way - possibly a better way - of kindness to emerge.

This may sound "corporate" but it almost seems that kindness is a skill to develop.  I watch others, including my husband, who make it look so easy, and I marvel at their ease in being generous.

In meditation this morning, I could hear the Universe telling me now is my chance to reset my focus and think of new, creative ways to be kind.  It's time to hone and expand upon my skills in giving.

The Center will be starting a 21-Day Kindness challenge on 9/11.  This is an opportunity to muster up my courage and start practicing my new ways of generosity.  I can be in a community of others who have unique thoughts about how to be in service.

I can watch them and learn.  But, more importantly, I can DO.  I can make a choice to be brave, knowing I may look clumsy or silly.

So today, I allow the magic of Spirit to move through me, lifting me into extraordinary kindness and giving.   


"Carry out a random act of kindness, with no expectation of reward, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you."

"In the end, though, maybe we must all give up trying to pay back the people in this world who sustain our lives.  In the end, maybe it's wiser to surrender before the miraculous scope of human generosity and to just keep saying thank you, forever and sincerely, for as long as we have voices."
~Elizabeth Gilbert, author of Eat, Pray, Love


Affirmative Prayer:
In the unlimited potential of this moment, there is the Presence of the Divine.  This Presence fills my heart and my mind and my soul and I have a knowing that we are One. 

Affirming the goodness of the Indwelling Spirit, I know that I, too, am unlimited potential.   I step into the flow of extraordinary generosity with faith and trust that I am supported.  There is a magic as I move out of my comfort zone of giving and move into acts of kindness that are creative.  Knowing the Universe has my back, I am safe to try new ways of generosity.  And as I give, I also receive in ways that are beyond what I can even imagine.  I pay it forward and the Universe says Yes!  

I am so thankful for the generosity and the abundance of Spirit, of Source, of God, that moves through each and every thing.   And I have such gratitude in every minute of the day for the blessings that rain down as I learn new ways of creative kindness.  For the beauty and love that emerges through acts of giving, I say Thank You.

As as I release my Word to the Divine action of the Law, I breathe easily in the knowing that it is already done in the One Mind.  Life flows for my highest and best expression and I embrace the journey.  I let it be so.  And so it is!



No comments:

Post a Comment