Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Why Good Leaders Are Well-Equipped For The Good Of Others

I am a great worker bee most of the time.  If there is a list of things to be done, and some structure around how to do them, I can easily get through the tasks pretty efficiently.  I also have the strength and energy to take on the tough tasks that no one else wants.

But - there is a calling within my heart to be more than just a worker bee.  I have a desire to become a a leader.  My challenge is that my 'leadership' role models have been somewhat brutal when it comes to managing a group of individuals.  And, I've carried around the belief that to be an effective leader, I also have to be brutal.

I have to raise my voice when things don't go quite right.

I have to slam doors and critique people in front of their peers.

I have to constantly watch the clock and call people out when they're a minute or two late.

At least, that's what I used to think.  I've NOW learned that the really strong leaders can lead in effective and supportive ways.

I believe that's the case because those same leaders want for their team, the good they seek for themselves.  They get it that people are ready to work hard when they are valued rather than scoffed at.

Those leaders take into account what the individual has done rather than discipline them based on a single error when they make a mistake.

Those leaders look at all that the individual knows rather than belittle them because they lack one small skill.

Those leaders encourage the individual's goals for their life rather than tell them their big, fat, hairy dream is unrealistic.

I no longer have to shy away from leadership roles.  I can be a different kind of leader from the stories I've been programmed with.

I can follow my heart and assert my authority so that everyone on the team, myself included, is well-equipped for the good we all desire.

So, where are YOU struggling to chase your dreams?  Where are you fearful of asserting your authority?

Today, I set the intention to know that it's safe to assert my authority, realizing that the good I want for myself is also the good I want for others.


"Life wants to come into form through you.  You didn't come here to get - 
you came to this world to contribute your gift.  Doing what you love makes you come alive.  
The more alive you feel, the more present you are.  The more present you are, the more
available you are to the creative connection to the Infinite."  
~Christian Sorenson

"That which holds our attention determines our action."  
~William James


Affirmative prayer:
Savoring the magnificence of life, there is the recognition of One Creative Power.  It is the tranquility found in a calm sea and the vibrancy found in the strains of a symphony.  Empowering and at the same time gentle, this Divine Wisdom flows freely around all that is.  It flows through me and around me reminding me that the One Creative Power resides within me.

I embrace this gift from Spirit; the knowing that I am a co-creator with Source.  What I think creates a feeling and as I make a declaration from that feeling, it comes forth in beautiful and amazing ways.  Like a field of sunflowers that follow the sunlight, my ideas and dreams follow a Divine light that calls out for expression.  I welcome the abundant possibilities for my life as a leader.  As I take the steps forward into guiding and directing a team, the perfect and right team-mates are guided toward me.  We work together in ways that support everyone's good, allowing Spirit to lead us to a life even better than we can imagine.  The way is made clear and the progress and breakthroughs into success and prosperity are evident each and every day.  Life is so good as we each contribute our gifts and talents together.

I am filled with gratitude for the connection with Spirit that makes all things possible.  I give thanks for the greatness being revealed in my life and I am grateful and available to the abundance and the joy that are on their way to me right now.

From this place of gratitude, I release my word to the Divine Action of the Law, knowing it is already done.  I sit in expectancy of the good that is becoming a physical reality.  And I let it be so.  And so it is.

Photo courtesy of Lauren Rushing/Flickr

No comments:

Post a Comment