Friday, October 31, 2014

But That's Just The Way I Am

Yep, I've said it about myself and I've heard many others say it as well.

"I was born in Brooklyn so when I'm blunt, that's just the way I am."

"I learned to drive on the East Coast where we drive crazy & fast; that's just the way I am."

"We never had money growing up so I hate giving things away; that's just the way I am."

We all have programming that has been drilled into us since we were born.  It shapes who we are and our responses in any situation in life.  What's interesting is how reluctant we are to change that programming.

It almost seems that we would rather be bitter and resentful and blame things on our past life, then throw out that lame old excuse - 'but that's just the way I am'.

What I'm learning to see is that my old programming is much easier to change when I take it in small steps.  So, if I keep sacrificing my time and things I'd like to do when others call on me at the last minute, it's NOT because that's the way I am.

It's because I have made a choice, in that moment, to make the other person a priority.  And, sometimes that's okay.  But not always...

The first small step to changing that behavior?  Simply notice that it's something I tend to do on a regular basis.

Once I've noticed it's become a habit for me to put myself last, my next small step is to re-script my response and start to make myself a priority in those situations.  If it doesn't speak to my heart, then I've decided it's not selfish for me to explain that I am no longer available.

My next small step after that?  To repeat that process until it becomes a new habit that is more about my new choices versus old programming.  And - every time I make the decision to change what no longer serves me, I create a space where I can avoid a larger meltdown later.

No sacrifice.  No resentment.  No bitterness.  Only a choice about what I do in this moment based on the way I want to be.

So, where in your life are you resistant to change?  Where are you blaming old programming for the way things are?

Today, I set the intention to create new habits that are healthy and loving, allowing me to be more generous with others because I am generous with myself.


"Progress is impossible without change, and those who 
cannot change their minds, cannot change."  

"Everything we do is infused with the energy with which we do it.  
If we're frantic, life will be frantic.  If we're peaceful, life will be peaceful. 
And so our goal in any situation becomes inner peace."  


Affirmative Prayer:
Turning within, there is the recognition of a Divine Presence.  There is a feeling and a sensing of Spirit, of Source Energy.  It is peace and grace, joy and harmony, perfect health and wholeness.

I sit in awe and wonder that this Divine Presence that I call God is everywhere present.  It is light and lightness, living and breathing in me and through me in every moment.  I savor this truth that I am here by Divine appointment at this time and in this place.

Each day, I am filled with enthusiasm realizing that I am supported and guided by a Source that wants my highest and best.  Trusting in this, I let go any old programming that no longer serves me and I welcome the potential to create new habits.  I declare that the awareness of what I am passionate about is what I can choose to create in my life.  I say Yes! to more satisfying experiences and know that I am not selfish when I make that declaration.  There are greater possibilities for vibrant health, for loving relationships, for opulent living and I am free to explore each and all of those as I am called.

I am filled with gratitude for the awareness that I can change my belief system to create a new life.  I give great thanks that this new life is abundant and prosperous, flowing easily and effortlessly every single day.  And I am grateful for my perfect health and beautiful relationships that are richer and fuller and grace-filled, simply because of my shift in consciousness.

Embracing the best in everything, I release this prayer to the Divine Action of the Law, knowing it is already done.  I anchor to the truth of Spirit within me.  And I let it be so.  And so it is.

Photo courtesy of Gioia de Antoniis/Flickr

No comments:

Post a Comment