Friday, January 24, 2014

How To Overcome Feelings Of Heaviness

I can't tell you how many times I've tried to "positive-think" myself into feeling good when there is a heaviness in the air.  Lately, though, it feels as if I'm betraying my soul when I don't somehow acknowledge the feelings that are seeking to emerge.

To be clear, I don't want to be over-run by negative emotions.  But - if I keep trying to squash the feelings that are longing to surface, it creates a hamster wheel of thoughts circling back on thoughts until I'm too dizzy to jump off the wheel.

I realize a lot of what I am feeling may be tied to what I believe subconsciously.  The challenge then becomes, how do I discover what's going on with my subconscious beliefs so that I can soothe this ache that keeps rearing its head.

Grabbing a pen and paper, I decided to make a list of all the things I am feeling when the heaviness starts to set in.  The list was titled, "Isn't it interesting that I'm feeling ____________" and I filled in the blank.

Isn't it interesting that I'm feeling such dread about that phone call with my boss.

Isn't it interesting that I'm feeling anxious about having to help my parents move.

Isn't it interesting that I'm feeling angry about having to travel for work.

Then, I take some time to sit for a minute with each item I've listed.  I let the feelings wash over me and just notice what thoughts show up.  As each thought shows up, I also contemplate how I can see this differently.

I truly believe that when I ask the Universe a question, it does respond.  So, asking how I can see this differently or what do I need to change usually results in an answer.

In my case, when I noticed that I feel dread about calls with my boss, I've always jumped to the conclusion it was because I was unhappy in my job.  I actually like being in sales, however, if I could change the necessity for quotas and pipeline reviews and just have fun selling, I would enjoy my job so much more.

Going even deeper, I realized that I may have some subconscious beliefs around having a job.  If I'm doing the work, then hitting my sales quotas should not be an issue nor a concern.  That said, I can hear my parent's voices - "You have to have a real job if you want to do well in this life".  

Yep, there is definitely a subconscious belief that I'm carrying about having a "job".

Uncovering this belief has felt like half the work is done.  Now I can start to look at the situation and the feelings with a little more compassion.  I can start to forgive my parents for the programming they may not have even realized they gave me.  And, I can make new choices, a little bit at a time.

I know that I can work my way back to enjoying my job.  And, I also know that if it's time for a change in my livelihood, then I have options I can explore.  Maybe this was the spark that was needed to allow for something even greater in my life to emerge.

So, how do YOU step out of negative emotions and free yourself from limiting beliefs?

Today, I set the intention to honor my negative emotions with compassion, knowing they hold a piece of wisdom for my future.


"A positive, healthy sense of self-value and worth is the foundation 
of our happiness and success.  When we know who we are and 
believe it, our greatest dreams are possible."  

"In detachment lies the wisdom of uncertainty....in the wisdom of uncertainty
 lies the freedom from our past, from the known, which is the prison of 
past conditioning.  And in our willingness to step into the unknown, 
the field of all possibilities, we surrender ourselves to the 
creative mind that orchestrates the dance of the universe."  
~Deepak Chopra, The Law of Detachment


Affirmative Prayer:
Going within, there is a realization that there is only One.  One Divine Life that moves and breathes as has Its being in all that is.  This life is as magnificent as the highest mountain and is forever unfolding just as a flower opens each morning and closes each night.

This Divine Life, this Divine Presence, is also IN me, THROUGH me, and FOR me.  I can never be separate from my Source of Good and I am uplifted in this moment with the knowing that Spirit is expressing as me.

Claiming that ever-increasing good is my Divine birthright, now is the time that I honor my emotions and feelings and see the wisdom that comes from experiencing every feeling I have.  It is all part of Spirit that calls me Beloved.  Letting go of any thoughts of fear or worry or lack,  I embrace the new thoughts of joy and harmony and grace, claiming that right now is the time to step into my abundance.  Right now is the time to step into my prosperity.  I am abundance. I am prosperity.  And just as a stone thrown into a pond ripples outward, so too do my thoughts of compassion, of self-love, and of forgiveness ripple outward to those who come into contact with me.  Life is good and all is well.

It is for this truth of abundance and of prosperity that I give great thanks.  I am so grateful for the miracles that reveal themselves in my life.  I am thankful for this moment now where all that remains is love, harmony, peace and joy.

From this place of gratitude, I release my Word to the Divine Action of the Law, knowing it is already done.  It is already fulfilled.  And I let it be so.  And so it is.



No comments:

Post a Comment