Friday, October 4, 2013

The Perfect Books to Read When You Need Healing

When I'm feeling the need for inspiration or there is a piece of me that needs healing, there are a number of tools I use.  Top of my list - books.  Books can change my mood from blah to woohoo! and they let me know I'm not alone in some of the challenges I face.

Here are six books that help me stay inspired.  Some are more recent than others but all of them are very relevant.  And - if I'm short of time and need a pick-me-up, I choose a book, center myself with a breath or two and randomly flip to a page or let the book fall open where it will.

Every time I've done this, the Universe always delivers to me the perfect text that I need to read in that moment.

Book One:  practicing the presence; Joel S. Goldsmith

This classic book from 1958 has transformed my daily spiritual practice of meditation.  If you are in need of a mantra, flip to any page in this book, choose a sentence to reflect on and go within.  You will soon feel the presence of God surround you and deepen your connection to Source - guaranteed.

Book Two:  Illusions; Richard Bach

If I am ever questioning my faith, this book reminds me that I am a powerful co-creator.  It is also where I borrowed the idea to let a book fall open to any page and read it to see what the Universe might be trying to tell me in that moment.

Book Three:  The Untethered Soul; Michael A. Singer

When I get caught up in my reflexive responses to challenges that show up throughout my day, this book reminds me that I am in control of my thoughts and feelings.  It has great, practical tools to set my conscious mind free from limiting beliefs.  The more often I turn to this book for help, the less other people are able to push my buttons.

Book Four:  The Power of Intention; Dr. Wayne Dyer

Dr. Dyer is wonderful at explaining how we are all co-creators with Spirit.  This book was my inspiration for setting daily intentions for how my day will unfold.  It also reminds me that once I have put my intention out to the Universe, I need only to let go and let God.  Part II of the book is filled with powerful intentions and is a great starting point if you are new to the concept that God is within each of us.

Book Five:  Peace from Broken Pieces; Iyanla Vanzant

"All things are lessons that God would have us learn."  When I need to put something in perspective, this book cuts to the chase and forces me to look at myself.  Forget about my story - what is it that I need to forgive and/or to heal?  The book also makes me feel that I am in a safe place, remembering that nothing can separate me from the love of God.

Book Six:  This Thing Called You; Ernest Holmes

It takes most people some time to get used to how Ernest writes and speaks. For me, this book was one that was clear and concise when it comes to determining how life got to be the way it is.  At its core, it is about prayer.  Any feelings of anger, sadness, hurt, frustration seem to fall away when I sit with a passage or two from this book.

So, today, I set the intention to embrace the pleasure of reading, knowing that time will be made for the opportunity to spend a moment with my favorite authors.


"We should think of our lives as an increasing awareness, an ever-growing
 and expanding consciousness, a never ceasing progress of individual and 
collective evolution.  There should be a constant joy in expansion, an 
enthusiastic sense of adventure in the progressive unfoldment of spiritual 
awareness.  It is enough to know that our good is with us today, that tomorrow 
this same good can be multiplied, and so on forever."
~Ernest Holmes

"When you realize how perfect life is, you will tilt your head back 
and laugh at the sky"
~Buddha

Affirmative Prayer:
There is a perfection in every moment of the day and night.  It shines as brilliantly as the sun and as effervescent as the moon.  This perfection is at the heart of the One that I call God, moving through and around all of Its creation, showering beauty and joy and peace and love over all this is.  Closing my eyes, I can sense the perfection of the One living within me, expressing as me, and filling me, just as the stars fill the night sky.

Absorbing the Power and the Presence of Spirit, there is a knowing that I always have an abundance of time to enjoy the pleasures around me.  Affirming my love of reading, I savor the opportunity to sit with a book that inspires and teaches and heals. Each author has written words that jump off the pages toward me in an amazing clarity of awe and wonder.  And I am called toward books that provide the words and phrases I need to hear in that exact moment.  Regardless of circumstances, these books hold a truth for my life that is relevant and filled with grace.

Claiming this, I sit in gratitude for my perfect eyesight that allows me the privilege of reading the written word.  I am thankful for the presence of Spirit that flows through each author as they write what calls to them.  Each life is Divinely guided and book and reader find each other in the perfect timing of the Universe.  For this, I am grateful.

Embracing this awareness, I release my prayer to the Divine action of the Law, knowing that it is already taking shape in perfect and glorious ways.  And I let it be so. And so it is!


No comments:

Post a Comment