Thursday, April 23, 2015

Waffling Between Indulgence And Self-Care

Eating healthy is not a new idea but why is it so challenging to stick with sometimes?  I confess that I love good food and when something tastes especially good, my portion control flies out the window.

Fortunately, I also love to exercise and am pretty good about getting in some type of workout, even if it's just a 20-minute brisk walk.  But, I've been really swinging out of control on the indulgence side of things.  And I can notice pretty quickly when my jeans get just a bit tighter or my energy level is out of sorts.

So, I'm continuing to work at some type of balance between enjoying my meals but fitting in more salads and veggies and smoothies.   I'm thinking that what I might be lacking is some type of plan to keep me focused on healthy eating as I juggle an inconsistent schedule and as I travel more.  What that plan is, I'm not quite sure yet, but I'm open to ideas.  Hello Universe???

What my spiritual side tells me is that I need to be present when I'm enjoying my food.  Rather than being pre-occupied with the days events or worrying about the future while I'm noshing on my chicken satay, instead I should pay attention to the flavors and savor the textures.

And, instead of eating until I'm overly full, I should be mindful of when my body tells me it has had enough to eat, paying attention to that feeling of satisfaction and 'done!'

I can certainly do a better job of focusing on the enjoyment of my meal rather than distracted eating.  I suppose it starts with awareness - and making mindfulness a priority and attentiveness a non-negotiable.

Today, I set the intention to make the time to be mindful when I eat, listening to my body and its wisdom to know when I have had enough.  


"Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential." 

"Keep your mind on what supports your wellbeing.  
Focus on what nurtures you, on what gives you strength."  


Affirmative Prayer:
Here in this moment now, the only presence is that of Spirit; a Divine Intelligence that is light and love, ever present and overflowing with magnificence.  

There is no place where this presence of Spirit is not and I see that I am the creative and divine expression of Spirit.  An essence of Oneness lives within me and I embrace the magnificence of this Oneness.

Opening my heart to the wisdom of the Universe, I see the path before me is made clear.  Every single day, Life gives me what I need and I celebrate this knowing that all my needs are met beautifully.  Healthy foods are abundantly available and my body receives its nourishment in perfect portions.  I am filled with strength and power as I joyfully move my body in exercise that is right and perfect for me.  I accept the healing energy that melts away any challenges I face in being mindful when I eat.  And I welcome the transformation in my life as I step up and say Yes! to successful self-care.

I am filled with gratitude that Divine Light is right here, right now, reminding me to be mindful in all things.  I give great thanks for the cornucopia of healthy foods that are available and affordable at my neighborhood market.  And I am grateful for the inner wisdom that tells me I am supported as I commit to making better choices.

Embracing the fullness of life, I release my prayer to the Universal Intelligence that always responds and returns my deepest desires.  All is good and well in my world.  And I let it be so.  And so it is.


Photo courtesy of Martin Cooper/Flickr

No comments:

Post a Comment