Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Show-Stopping Self-Acceptance

Going through my closet and re-organizing my clothes with the change of seasons, I started feeling very proud of what I had to choose from.  At the same time, I was also a somewhat critical of some of the other clothes choices I had made.

As I noticed the critical feelings, I realized that the maturity in my clothing choices is mirroring the maturity in my spiritual choices.

First, I have admit that I love clothing and would like nothing better than to be able to buy something new to add to my wardrobe on a weekly basis.  And, out of college, as I started getting these lovely paychecks that were more than I had ever earned, I indulged myself in just that - shopping every week for something new.

What's interesting is that after wearing my purchases for about a month or so, I'd get very critical of how they looked and how they made me feel.  I had an internal voice that would start to tell me I looked fat in certain things or how the style just wasn't flattering or the color was completely wrong for my skin tone.

And so, I'd donate the clothing that no longer made me feel good and replace it with newer choices that made me feel beautiful and young and trendy.  I was so focused on how the new clothing made me feel, I didn't really pay attention to what would be the quality choices that would last season to season, to what would mix & match with other things I owned and and to what would be something that I enjoyed to wear because it suited me.

What I can see now is that when my life took a turn toward seeing the world differently (not long after my divorce), the choices I started to make in clothing also turned.

As I developed my own taste in spirituality, I also developed my own taste for clothing.  The biggest 'a-ha' was that I was not defined by my clothing  - nor was I defined by my spirituality (Catholic, Protestant, Christian...)

What I've learned to be true for me is that God, Spirit, Creator, is not something outside of me, judging me.  My truth is that there is only One Divine Mind that I choose to call God, AND it's within me - good and loving and yearning for my success.

I get to relax into my spirituality AND my clothing choices.  I can choose what works for me - maybe a few knock-out pieces combined with everyday practical items - and let go of dogma that makes me feel I must wear navy blue pant suits to be accepted professionally.

When I feel confused by life and thrown into chaos, I don't have to throw out my spiritual practices for new ones.  I can lean into the practical black top with slacks - meditation - and combine it with a pretty scarf or necklace - affirmations.

I am reaching a point where I can allow my elegance to shine through and not worry about what others think - proud of who I am; a point where I can pray and sit in the joyful expectancy that it is always answered.

Today, I set the intention to let go of any lingering self-criticism and lean into the beautiful structure of possibility that I am creating. 


"It is well to listen to this Inner Voice, for it tells us of a life wonderful in its scope; 
of a love beyond our fondest dreams; of a freedom which the soul craves."  


"Every defeat, every heartbreak, every loss, contains its own seed, 
its own lesson on how to improve your performance the next time."


Affirmative Prayer:
Letting go of the day and opening to the presence of the One Divine Love, there is only peace, only joy.  It is the eternal presence of Spirit, powerful and remarkable as the Source of all life.

I am touched deeply by this presence of Spirit, always pointing me to that which is good.  I am filled with awe and wonder that this presence is ever-present, always available.  I live, move and allow the truth of who I am to wash over me and seep into my very being.

As my innate spiritual qualities begin to emerge, I let go of any lingering confusion and embrace the elegant creation of God as Sandy.  Remembering that I am here to live a life of joy and abundance, I flow with the up-leveling of my life.  I easily make choices that support my prosperity and happiness.  I lean into the newness of what is and let go of what was, opening my heart to the greatness of love.  There are no mistakes - only course corrections and growth into possibilities.  I welcome the beauty of my unique gifts that are expressed more confidently and made manifest in powerful experiences.  I am open to all that is available to me and I let Spirit lead my steps.

I am filled with gratitude for the presence of Spirit, revealing the abundance in my life perfectly.  I give thanks for my faith that reminds me that prayer always works.  And I am grateful that I am free to be my unique, brilliant self and that my passions are able to shine through with confidence.

Releasing my prayer to the Law of Mind, I know it is already done and I can celebrate the results.  I rejoice in this amazing day!  And so it is!

Photo courtesy of Jeremy Lelievre/Flickr

No comments:

Post a Comment