Sunday, December 28, 2014

Why The Universe Is Your Bootcamp

Just when I think I've finally mastered a skill, the Universe steps in and says "Drop and give me twenty, rookie."   The issue?  Exercise and eating healthy.  My pants are starting to fit just a little more tightly than they should <ugh>.

It started with all of the travel I've been doing.  It's tough to stick with a program when I'm on the road every other week.  I'm not complaining because I LOVE to travel but I admit that I get lazy and choose to sleep in rather than hit the gym.

I also tend to enjoy my dining out options while on the road.   That means I typically eat WAY more than I should as well as enjoy an extra glass of wine or indulge in chips and margaritas at the bar for a nightcap.

Fortunately, I easily drop back into my workout routine when I'm back home, however, I've noticed that I'm starting to find reasons to eat out more and more.  I'm also noticing I'm not disciplined enough to skip the appetizer or eat only half my meal and save the other half for another time.

Where all this leads me to is the realization that eating is as much a spiritual practice as meditation and contemplation.  Just as I make a choice to spend time meditating until I've mastered the discipline to make it a regular practice, I must also make the choice to master my eating habits.

And, similar to meditation, that means slowing down as I eat, savoring each bite, being in gratitude for the delicious meal, being mindful and staying in the moment.  It also means taking a look at my food choices, eating out vs. eating at home AND questioning decisions like having an extra glass of wine.

It's interesting to look back at the practices I've developed over time.  I can see a pattern where a challenge in a certain area will cause me to dive deeper and become stronger.  That's certainly true of my prayer work and now, it's become true for my eating habits as well.

So, I'm enrolling in Bootcamp run by the Universe.  I'm taking on mastering my poor eating habits, knowing up-front it will take patience with myself if I'm too see improvement.  It will also take listening to the inner voice that knows what my body needs.  And, in that knowing of what needs to be done, the space is created to become stronger in working with the Universe rather than fight against it.

What area of YOUR life is the Universe telling you to step up and become stronger and more disciplined in?

Today, I set the intention to listen to my body and become mindful as I eat, knowing I am guided to the foods that will be best for me and the portion sizes that will be sufficient for my active life.


"Continue to declare that there were no mistakes, there are none and there never will be.  
There are no mistakes in the Divine Plan for me."  

"You cannot make your life move faster than it's moving.  
No matter how urgent your situation may seem to be, things are going
 to happen when they happen, not a minute sooner.  Be patient with yourself. 
 Be patient with others.  Be patient with life.  Patience always pays off."  


Affirmative Prayer:
In the stillness of this moment, there is only one Infinite Presence that I call God.  It is a love that flows through the quiet of the night and a brilliance that uplifts with the rising of the sun each day.  This Infinite Presence flows through me, reminding me that I am guided and I am guarded as Life experiences and expands through me.

And, just as an eagle soars to the greatest heights, so do I soar through my life with self-compassion and with a realization that I am worthy of the best of life.  I welcome the knowing that my challenges and my failures around my eating habits allow me to set new and perfect goals for my health.  There is an inner knowing of what my body needs to thrive and I willingly listen and make beautiful choices each morning and each night.  There is such an abundance of healthy foods and I savor each bite and affirm that my body delights in the experience of vibrants flavors and textures. In the bounty of life's gifts, I am directed to the highest and best choices for me, trusting that the Universe always has my back.

I am filled with gratitude for the amazing transformation in my life as I take responsibility for my eating habits.  And I am thankful for the power to say No when my body tells me it has had its fill.  Thank you, Spirit, for the depth of wisdom that tells me I have the discipline to make a change in my health for the better.

From this place of wisdom, I release my word to the Divine Action of the Law, knowing it is already done.  I live from the truth that I am empowered in every area of my life.  And I let it be so.  And so it is.


Photo courtesy of Grant Frederickson/Flickr

No comments:

Post a Comment