Thursday, September 10, 2015

Obstacles To Enlightenment

As I re-read Eckhart Tolle's Power of Now, this phrase leaps out at me; "Most people treat the present moment as if it were an obstacle they need to overcome."   Of course, now that the thought is in my consciousness, I also have an awareness of how this shows up in my day-to-day life.

I notice how in the present moment at the grocery store people rush to park and shop and get back out.

I notice how in the present moment at the gym, there is a rush to get on the treadmill, get through the workout and rush on to the next activity of the day.

I notice how in the present moment, a man walking his dog is distracted by his phone, nose down and pulling on the dog to keep going.

And, I am guilty of that same thing.  I push to get through work so I can get to the store, then go home and walk the dog, then cook dinner, then catch up on email and Facebook and Pinterest...and on and on.

In an instant, I see that mindfulness doesn't fit neatly into my 15 minutes of meditation a day.  Mindfulness and being in the present moment are something that is practiced each day in every moment.

So, I've begun again to slow down a bit and give my attention to the present moment.

Walking up the stairs, I enjoy the strength in my legs that let me easily climb up to my bedroom.

Cooking dinner, I inhale the aroma of delicious flavors and give thanks for the food about to grace my table.

Walking the dog, I watch as his ears flop up and down, and his nose twitches as he explores the green grass of a neighbors lawn.

I am remembering to treat the present moment as Life itself, something to savor and experience, filled with beauty and joy, expanding with good beyond my imagination.

Today, I set the intention to surrender to the present moment and embrace it as Life itself as I journey toward enlightenment.  


"Always say 'yes' to the present moment...surrender to what is.  
Say 'yes' to life - and see how life starts suddenly
 to start working for you rather than against you."  
~Eckhart Tolle 

"Enlightenment, joy and peace can never be
 given to you by another.  The well is inside you."  
~Thich Nhat Hanh


Affirmative Prayer:
Sitting in a space of gratitude, there is the recognition of the One Divine Intelligence that is kindness and compassion, beauty and joy, shining light and love over all of creation.  One God.  One Power.  One Presence.  One Life

This One Power and One Presence is made manifest with my life.  It seeks expression through me.  Its beauty flows around me.  Its elegance lives as me.  I am pure bliss and light itself.

I embrace the truth that no matter what, I am fully supported in all that I do.  I accept that I am unique, traveling a path that is mine alone.  I graciously accept the bounty of miracles and blessings that flow into my life daily.  I welcome the expansion into ever-increasing good that comes as I take divine right action.  And, I affirm that as I bring my full awareness to the present moment, a feeling of joy and serenity overtakes me and reminds me that I am the beloved of God.

I am grateful for the clarity of my thoughts and actions as I remain in the present.  I give thanks for the love that surrounds me, even in the smallest of ways - a song that makes me smile, a bird singing in the trees, the moonlight shining through my window.  And, I say Thank You, Sweet Spirit, for the peace that surrounds me in every moment of mindfulness.

From a place of peace and joy, I release my prayer to the Law of Mind, surrendering and letting God take care of the 'how'.  It is done now in amazing ways.  Life is good.  Amen.  Alleluia.  And so it is.

Photo courtesy of Ilker Ender/Flickr

No comments:

Post a Comment