Thursday, July 9, 2015

The Tricky Dance Of Mother-Daughter Relationships

Becoming a mother was an exciting experience.  And with the birth of my second daughter, I was equally as enthralled with motherhood.

Speaking their first words.  A smile that softens any heart.  The easy breathing of a toddler at nap time.

Even with all of those beautiful moments, anyone with children knows that parenthood isn't always easy.  Quite often, flexibility is required.  A small child can easily, and often, throw a wrench into the best laid plans.

As my oldest daughter, Ashley, grew into her teen years, I thought I had mastered flexibility and would avoid the classic teen tension between mother and daughter.  No chance!

And as my second daughter, Haley, turned 12, the typical teen trials were hitting their stride.  I tried to breath through it as I vowed to protect my girls from life's challenges.  But they pushed back.

So, I jumped in and waded through two girls going through their teens, knowing it is the natural evolution of childhood into becoming an independent person.  Many days, I would go to bed critical of my role as a mother and critical of my daughters actions and choices.

But I also realized it was an opportunity to open up and experience my role as a mother as part of MY evolution.  After many hours spent contemplating and meditating and good old-fashioned soul searching, I got to the place of being able to see the things I could give praise for rather than be critical.

It doesn't mean I didn't still have times where I would blow up at some of the situations the girls would get into.  I'm sure, at the heart of it, it was my natural protection from being hurt by their words.  Or, fear that I had not kept them safe from life circumstances.

Now, I'm at the place where both of my girls are out of their teen years and starting lives of their own.  My relationship with Ashley and Haley has deepened.  It is filled with love.  And it is, in large part, because we have traveled this journey of parenthood together.

So, I say thank you to my girls for the experience as I set the intention to allow for the unfolding of our 'what's next', declaring that it will be filled with the passion and power and beauty and joy that works for each of us.


"Life affords no greater responsibility, no greater privilege, 
than the raising of the next generation."  

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children.  
One of these is roots, the other, wings."  


Affirmative Prayer:
As the sun sets and the sky is filled with brilliant and beautiful colors, there is the recognition of Divine Grace.  It is the grace of God that sustains, that encourages, that fulfills.

That life of grace is God in me and as me, and I allow Life an opportunity to become more of Itself through me.   I surrender and become an open channel through which Spirit expresses wonderfully all around me.

Meeting all that comes my way with joy, I am blossoming as I accept the place where I am right now in my relationship with my daughters.  Resistance falls away and I lean into this present moment with all of the ebbs and flows and nuances my journey here.  I embrace an attitude of openness and allow Spirit to show me my greater yet to be as a mother, as a wife, as a spiritual seeker.  A magnificent sense of freedom and satisfaction fills me as I declare that my life is blessed and filled with miracles.  And I welcome the wisdom that is gained as I stay centered in the truth that motherhood is a privilege and I have been honored by it.

I give great thanks that I am moved along in my relationship with my daughters powerfully and beautifully.  I am grateful for the harmony and peace that winds its way through our time spent together.  And I say thank you, Sweet Spirit, as I say Yes! to the beginning of what's next for me.

Surrendering this prayer to the Law of Mind, I take delight that it is done and unfolding in right and perfect ways.  Spirit's love is everywhere present.  Amen. Alleluia.  And so it is.

Photo credit: Ashley Massone

No comments:

Post a Comment