Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Challenges Of Our Middle Years

After leaving a job I felt trapped in and starting a new career in marketing for my husband's firm, I look back and think that I may have gone through something akin to a mid-life crisis.  A recent article I read quoted Gail Sheehy and she refers to the challenges of our middle years as "the passage to the second half of life."

I could not have described my experience better.  In part, I believe my transition to the second half of life was a bit challenging because I was called to make choices.  In particular, I was forced to make a choice about my job - stay on the same career path or do something different.

I grappled with that one for about a year, using every spiritual practice in my book, before finally having the courage to leave behind what was familiar.  Fortunately, I've got a beautiful relationship with my husband which gave me some solid ground to stand on while I floundered around with career choices and deciding what would make me happy.

Change can be scary and sometimes overwhelming, but I remember also that it is part of life's journey.  And what I'm seeing is that I'm much more confident in moving through change as I pass into my second half of life.

So, as I learn to embrace change and I realize that I have the power to control my perspective, I'm starting to choose to celebrate my growth into whomever I am meant to be during this time in my life.

I simply need to keep moving forward, one small step at a time.

Today, I set the intention to honor my transition into the second half of life, knowing that there is nothing to be fixed, only experiences that reveal my bigger purpose for being here at this time.


"Nothing stands between man and his highest ideals and every desire of his heart, 
but doubt and fear.  When man can 'wish without worrying,' 
every desire will be instantly fulfilled." 

"Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed
 is more important than any other one thing." 


Affirmative Prayer:
Surrendering to the One Divine Presence in this moment, there is a deep sense of inner peace.  It is a Creative Power filled with a flow of energy that surrounds all that is with It's greatness and splendor; precious light and unconditional love.

Every cell of my body is immersed in the healing force of the One that I call God.  I can never be separate from this One Divine Presence.  I rest in this knowing that I am the highest understanding of God; a divine, everlasting greater Life than I can even imagine.

In the sun that shines and in the stars at night, I see my second half of life unfolding perfectly.  I am free to be exactly who I am and it is like going home.  I affirm that the courage to step into my life of purpose and passion is always within me.  I release any judgements around past mistakes, bad choices, things that I could have done better.  Instead I welcome the realization that there is nothing missing at the core of who I am.  It is for a time such as this that I was created and I celebrate my aliveness and wholeness.  All things are possible and I embrace the journey.

Knowing that as God is, I am, I give thanks for the very breath of Spirit that moves through me.  I am open to change and grateful for all that change brings, trusting that I am led to something even better.  And, I am thankful for the love that surrounds me as I choose wisely and my outer life reflects that wisdom.

Allowing myself to be lifted higher, I release my prayer to the Law of Mind, the realm of love and light, knowing that my Word is creating a new reality here and now.  I am safe and protected.  And I let it be so.  And so it is.

Photo courtesy of Nelson L./Flickr

No comments:

Post a Comment