Thursday, July 24, 2014

Does Prayer Change Anything?

Yes.  Absolutely.  Definitively.  Prayer changes things.  Prayer makes things that you thought were impossible, possible.  It opens doors, and sometimes windows, where there was only a wall.

But, most of all, prayer changes me.

I have been a bit freaked out lately with everything going on in the world.  Between the fighting in the Gaza strip, the Malaysia Airlines plane being shot down and a whole host of scary news, I started to feel uncertain about my safety, my finances, my children's well-being and on and on.

It became hypnotic to listen to other's opinions and theories and speculation.  And, before I knew it, I was waking up anxious in the morning.  I was going to bed with worry in my heart and crazy thoughts of panic sitting in my gut.

You would think that with all of my spiritual practices, I would be less inclined to go down this path of fear.  But something was triggered in me that wouldn't let me NOT go down this path.

And this is life.  Life happens and it happens in ways that can bring me happiness or have me concerned.

So, I'm thankful that I can turn to prayer.  One of the things I love most about New Thought and The Science of Mind is affirmative prayer.

I can take the issue I'm concerned about and put it into a context that lets me see the abundance that is everywhere.  It lets me turn away from the worries about the global economy and my finances.  And it allows me be grateful for recognizing that through it all, the sun still rises every morning and the ocean waves continue to crash on the beach.

In prayer, I can say anything and claim what I desire without being scoffed at.  I can claim peace for those affected by the airplane crash.  I can claim resolution to the fighting in the Middle East.  I can claim for those in Europe whose economy is struggling from these events, that they realize an abundance and prosperity in spite of outward appearances.

It's a way for me to make a shift in the Universe and have an impact.  And I am changed as I realize there are MILLIONS of people who are thriving in spite of recent events - including me!  The knot in my stomach eases up and I can roll with what happens without having to get all worked up about it.

So, I'm praying a lot this week and keeping my vision steadily on what I would like to see manifest in the world.  And I have enough faith to know that the Universe is supporting everyone on this current journey and something beautiful will emerge from a seemingly "bad" outer condition.

Do YOU believe prayer changes things?

Today, I set my intention to pray without ceasing, having faith that prayer makes the best out of a bad situation and cannot help but change me for the better.


"I will be honest with myself today.  I will not think that I already know 
what must remain beyond my present grasp.  I will not think I understand 
the whole from bits of my perception, which are all that I can see.  Today
 I recognize that this is so.  And so I am relieved of judgements that I cannot make.
  Thus do I free myself and what I look upon, to be in peace as God created us."  

"Never let the future disturb you.  You will meet it, if you have to, 
with the same weapons of reason which today arm you against the present."  


Affirmative Prayer:
In the things that are seen and unseen, in the invisible realm beyond our vision, there is a force for good.  It is the divine over-flow of Spirit that feeds all creatures, great and small.  It is the light and love of the Universe, always revealing more than enough, no matter where and no matter what.

I live and move and have my being in this light and love of the Universe, knowing I am more than enough in every moment.  I am the freedom of Divine Choice that shows me how good life is, all of the time.  I am joy, circulating happiness and peace through every situation in my life, always guided to my greatest expression of Source as me.

Keeping my eyes fixed on the good and the joy, I accept the changes that are happening in my world and see the beauty unfolding in every event.  In this human experience, I welcome the resiliency to bounce back from anything, knowing at my core I am one with Spirit - perfect, whole and complete.  As I pray each day, I remain steadfast in the vision I have for peace and harmony that spreads like wildfire into every region of this world.  And I am humbled as I see big and small miracles revealed in ways beyond what I can even imagine.

Affirming the highest and best for me and for those who read these words, I am grateful for the clarity that prayer brings to every situation.  I give thanks that each day, my next steps are clear and I can accept and allow things to be just as they are.  And I am filled with gratitude for the positive results that are manifesting in my life and around the world.

From this place of gratitude, I release my word to the Divine Action of the Law, knowing it is already done.  I let go and let God. And I let it be so.  And so it is.


Photo courtesy of Marjan Lazarevski/Flickr

No comments:

Post a Comment