Tuesday, August 25, 2015

A Hidden Perk Of Walking The Dog

Without a doubt, I've known that walking my dog, Cody, is great exercise.  Yesterday, after a day of things not going quite right, I also found that walking the dog was a catalyst for happiness.

It was interesting to notice the transformation as I decided to strike out on a longer walk than usual with Cody.  As we started out, I was still feeling tense from issues at work and trying to figure out the best way for me to deal with the issues.

Feeling overwhelmed by trying to find a solution, I decided to let it go and be present for the walk.  Occasional thoughts of what wasn't working drifted back into my mind but I made the conscious choice to let them go.

Walking further and rounding the corner, my thoughts also took a turn into one of forgiveness as I silently repeated the Ho'oponopono mantra in my head.  My steps felt a little lighter with each repetition and my pace settled into a nice, easy rhythm.

Continuing on into a local neighborhood, I soon began noticing the people outside, going about their day in seemingly good spirits.  I would say a friendly hello and smile, and that was returned to me by every single person I encountered.

As Cody and I made our last turn toward home, I realized that my spirit had lifted quite a bit.  I felt....good.  So much better than when I had started out on this 2-mile jaunt.

And, by the time we reached our front steps, I felt a joy inside for my beautiful new home and all the things I had to be grateful for.

Of course, Cody was oblivious to all of this going on with me.  He was simply smiling and panting from the enjoyment of being out on a walk and looking forward to a nice long drink of water - and maybe a treat or two.

I wonder, sometimes, if I overthink my spiritual practices as a solution for where my day may take me. Maybe it's just a matter of enjoying time outside and the simplicity of walking the dog.  And maybe that in itself is the spiritual practice.

So, today, I set the intention to trust that the simple things like walking the dog might just be exactly what is needed to bring me back to living in the present and forgiving the upset of the day.


"This being human is a guest house.  Every morning, a new arrival."  

"Very little grows on jagged rock.  Be grounded.  
Be crumbled so wildflowers will come up where you are."  


Affirmative prayer:
Taking a breath in and letting my heart expand, my thoughts turn to the all-good of God.  It is a sweet presence of love and light.  It is the joyful presence of that still, small voice within.  It is the One Divine Presence that moves through each day with ease and grace.

This Divine Presence delights in reminding me who I am - a child of the Universe, a channel through which Spirit expresses magnificently.  I am outrageous prosperity and abundance that circulates perfectly and, as such, I am open at the top as an instrument for Source.

Secure in this knowing, I allow Spirit to surround me and guide me into something even better than I can imagine.  I recognize the stressors of the day and let them go.  Instead, I focus my thoughts on the good in my life as I walk outside in the warm sunshine, listening to the birds sing and realizing it is the voice of Spirit.  I celebrate the freedom of choice I have to discover new paths as I journey through life as Sandy.  I welcome the joy and happiness that emerges through simple tasks like walking the dog.  And I affirm that I am surrounded by love and laughter, thankful to be alive!

Cherishing this knowing, I am thankful for the wonderful unfolding of each day in right and perfect ways.  I am grateful that as I remain in the present moment, the gifts of the Universe appear as if by magic.  And I say "Thank You, Sweet Spirit", for the blessings and everyday miracles that light my path and fill my soul.

From this place of deep gratitude, I release my prayer to the Divine Action of the Law, knowing it is already done.  I am free and worthy to receive, every day.  Amen.  Alleluia.  And so it is.

Photo my own


No comments:

Post a Comment